On Saturday March 26, 2016 we were very excited to reopen the 205 Kentucky St. entrance to Hotel Petaluma. This is a landmark event in the history of the hotel, which was built in 1923/1924. The Hotel utilized this entry as the main entrance to the the Hotel until some time in the 1940’s, we believe, when it was enclosed and turned into a bar.
When the current owners of the Hotel Petaluma bought the hotel in April 2015, they determined that the first order of business would be to demolish that bar, and reopen the historic courtyard entrance. To that end work has been proceeding using a number of local craftsmen and artisans to put things back to right.
Today we were able to reopen this access to the hotel, at least during the daylight hours (the restoration of the lighting is still in process), when the installation of the wrought iron railings was completed.
In the past several weeks the gardener has been here to landscape this area. The tar line, pictured in the above images, is being meticulously removed by local artisan Christopher Stevick. Chris is also remaking the on-lay that was over the front door.
We have installed an accessible ramp, and have made the front door accessible via a button actuated electric door opener.
There is still a lot of work to take place there, including finishing the fountain with ceramic tiles, replacing the missing windows (being built by local craftsman, Chris Lindeman) and a fresh coat of paint on the columns which Chris Stevick helped us rebuild.
Outdoor furnishings will be added to the space as well, making this a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the outdoors right in the heart of our wonderful city of Petaluma.
We are so pleased with the work of all the local craftspeople who have had a hand in helping us restore this grand entry to our wonderful historic hotel. We hope you will stop by and see it for yourself. While it is still a work in progress, you can now admire it from inside the historic courtyard.